Thursday, June 19, 2008

Navel Gazing

Seems like it's been a while but I guess it really hasn't been. I have been sitting on a couple of thoughts, but what stirs me to log on is the thing that always gets to me: the stupid local news. Tonight on the WTMJ news with Mike:

Mike talks about an event that happened today. He attended with his wife. There's a picture of him smiling and waving. Now to our interview. Mike finds out that the famous interview subject used to listen to the radio broadcast by the sister station of his TV news station. How about that! Mike tells the celeb what an honor it was to meet the guy. Thanks, Mike. It's really more important to hear your opinion than anything else he might say that isn't somehow about you. And they opened a new lane of highway. This is great news. I know because Mike gave his opinion that it was great news. Also, he smiled so wide at announcing the news that he looked like he'd been drugged, so either he really was on drugs, or this was an intentional means of making absolutely sure that we understood his very strong opinion what great news this was.

Also, I'm not sure how much of what he reported on the McGee trial was what McGee said on tape that was played in court, and how much was Mike's characterization and interpretation of what was played, but in Mike's version, McGee sure must be guilty, so I guess I know where you stand, Mike. Yessiree, I went into that newscast with only a guess of what Mike thought, and now it's like I've met him and his wife and got to know what makes him happy and how he feels about stuff. Just like the local news is supposed to do. Now if I want to know the facts, I can just read a newspaper.

No comments: